Cassar-Pullicino VN & Roberts SNJ. Imaging the postoperative knee. Chapter in Imaging of the Knee ed Cassar-Pullicino V & Davies AM. Springer – Verlag 2002. ISBN 3-540-67292-3.
Roberts SNJ. Editor of the 1997 “Oswestry Multimedia Yearbook CDROM”.
Roberts SNJ. “Examination of the Knee” chapter in: Roberts PJ, Tandon S & Wade RH.
Clinical examination for FRCS (Trauma & Orthopaedics): a teaching manual for FRCS (Trauma & Orthopaedics) trainees. Oswestry: Institute of Orthopaedics Publishing Group, 2001. ISBN 0953998215.
Roberts SNJ. Chapter “Clinical Shoulder Biomechanics” in Basic Sciences for FRCS (Trauma & Orthopaedics). Pp 89-94. Eds VN Cassar Pullicino & JB Richardson. Institute of Orthopaedics, Oswestry 2001. ISBN 0 9539982 0 7.
Roberts SNJ. The Sternoclavicular Joint. Chapter in The Oxford Textbook of Orthopardics & Trauma. OUP 2011. ISBN 978-0199550647.
Roberts SNJ. Tissue Injury & Repair: Articular Cartilage. Chapter in: Sports Injuries. Hutson & Speed. OUP 2011. ISBN 978-0-19-953390-9.
Beckingham IJ, Roberts SNJ, Berridge DC, Makin GS, Hopkinson BR. A simple technique for thromboembolectomy in the upper limb. European Journal of Vascular Surgery 1990; 4: 173-177.
Roberts SNJ, Foley APJ, Swallow HM, Wallace WA, Coughlan DP. The geometry of the humeral head and humeral prosthesis design. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 1991; 73-B: 647-650.
Rowles JM, Roberts SNJ, Robertson CS, The NLDB study group. General surgical injuries in survivors of the M1 Kegworth air crash. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England 1990; 72: 378-381.
Roberts SNJ. How to insert a peripheral venous cannula. Comment. The British Journal of Hospital Medicine, June 1991; 45: 339.
Roberts SNJ. Post-traumatic Beau lines. Injury, 1993; 24; 9, 637-8.
Roberts SNJ, Roberts PME. Orthopaedic trauma in international tournament water-skiers. JBJS 77-B: Supp III: 342.
Roberts SNJ. Kneesy does it. British Water Skier, Dec/Jan 1995; 3, 5: 26-27.
Roberts SNJ, Roberts PME. Tournament Water Skiing Trauma. British Journal of Sports Medicine June 1996; 30: 90-93.
Roberts SNJ, Thomas PBM. Mechanical failure of unreamed tibial nails. Abstract JBJS (Suppl).
Roberts PME, Roberts SNJ. Water skiing injuries. Rheumatology in Practice, 1996 3 (4): 21-22.
Roberts SNJ, Thomas PBM. Acute compartment syndrome in tibial diaphyseal fractures. Comment. JBJS 1996 July 78-B; 683.
Roberts SNJ. Case reports at http://www.bonehome.com/: “Voluntary shoulder subluxation” and “Distal humerus fracture in Albright's Syndrome” June 1997.
Roberts SNJ. Analysis of Scapulo-thoracic Cadence. Proceedings of the Combined Meeting of the Orthopaedic Associations of the English Speaking World p80.
Roberts SNJ, Carter C, Brown JN, Hayes MG. Saies A. Enormous Glomus Tumour of the Shoulder. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery, 1999 8 (4) 365-6.
Roberts SNJ, Taylor DE, Brown JN, Hayes MG. Saies A. Open & Arthroscopic Techniques for the Treatment of Traumatic Anterior Shoulder Instability in Australian Rules Football Players. Abstract Australian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sport
Cardone D, Brown JN, Roberts SNJ, Saies A, Hayes MG. Acromioclavicular joint injuries in Australian Rules Footballers. Abstract Australian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sport
Roberts SNJ, Brown JN, Hayes MG. Saies A. The Early Results of the Brunelli Procedure for Trapeziometacarpal Instability. J Hand Surg [Br] 23(6):758-61, 1998 Dec.
Roberts SNJ, Taylor DE, Brown JN, Hayes MG. Saies A. Open & Arthroscopic Techniques for the Treatment of Traumatic Anterior Shoulder Instability in Australian Rules Football Players. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery 8(5):403-9, 1999 Sep-Oct.
Brown JN, Roberts S, Taylor M, Paterson RS. Plantar fascia release through a transverse plantar incision. Foot & Ankle International. 20(6):364-7, 1999 Jun.
Roberts SNJ, Brown JN, Paterson RS. Tenoplasty for Chronic Achilles Tendinitis. (Abstract JBJS (Br) 81B 1999 Suppl II p153).
Brown JN, Roberts SNJ, Hayes MG, Saies AD. Shoulder Pathology Associated with Symptomatic Acromioclavicular Joint Degeneration. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 2000. 9; 3 p173 -176
Roberts SNJ. Analysis of scapulo-thoracic cadence. (Abstract) JBJS (Br) 82B 2000 Suppl II p156.
I have written a series of educational articles for a number of lay sports magazines including Inside Rugby & Cricket World.
I have reviewed a number of books for publication in Hospital Doctor including “Postgraduate textbook of clinical orthopaedics” by Harris & Birch, “Minimal access orthopaedics” by David Hunt & “Current diagnosis & treatment in orthopaedics” by Harry B Skinner.
Quek ST. Unger A. Cassar-Pullicino VN. Roberts SNJ. A self limiting tumour. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 59(4):252-6, 2000 Apr.
Edwards DJ, Brown JN, Roberts SNJ, Paterson RS. Long-term results of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using ilio-tibial tract and semitendinosis tendon. The Knee. 7 (2): 87-93 2000.
Roberts SNJ, Hayes MG. The Management of Primary Traumatic Shoulder Dislocation. CME Orthopaedics 2000; 1:22-5.
Roberts SNJ, Hayes MG. Sclerotic Lesions of the Clavicle. CME Orthopaedics 2000; 2: 44-47.
Roberts S. The Oswestry experience with autologous chondrocyte transplantation. Osteoporosis International 12 Suppl 1 2001. Page S17.
Paterson RS, Brown JN, Roberts SNJ. The posteromedial impingement lesion of the ankle. A series of six cases. Am J Sports Med. 2001 29(5): 550-557.
Kumar A, Malhan K, Roberts SNJ. Chondral injury from bioabsorbable screws after meniscal repair. Arthroscopy. 2001 Oct;17(8):34. E34
Cardone D. Brown JN. Roberts SN. Saies AD. Hayes MG. Grade III acromioclavicular joint injury in Australian Rules Football. Journal of Science & Medicine in Sport. 5(2):143-8, 2002 Jun.
Bailey A, Goodstone N, Roberts S, Hughes J, Roberts S, Van Niekerk L, Richardson J, Rees D. Rehabilitation after Oswestry autologous chondrocyte implantation: The Oscell protocol. J Sports Rehabil. 2003: 12: 104-118.
Willcox, N, Roberts S. Delayed biodegradation of a meniscal screw. Arthroscopy 20; 6. July-August suppl 1) 2004: pp20-22.
Roach RA. Roberts SNJ, Rees DA. The potential benefit of thermal shrinkage for lax anterior cruciate ligaments. Acta Orthop. Belg. 2004, 70 247-252.
Roberts SNJ. Graft choice in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Techniques in Knee Surgery. 4(2):112-119, June 2005.
Roberts SNJ. Running Injuries. General Practice Update. Apr 2009; 2(4): 20-27.
Balain B, Ennis O, Kanes G, Singhal R, Roberts SNJ, Rees D, Kuiper JH. Response shift in self-reported functional scores after knee microfracture for full thickness cartilage lesions. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2009; 17 (8): 1009-1013.
Caesar BC, Roberts SNJ. Stress fractures of the femoral diaphysis. Operative Techniques in sports Medicine. Apr 2009; 17 (2): 94-99.
Gallacher PD, Gilbert R, Kanes G, Roberts SNJ, Rees D. White on white meniscal tears to fix or not to fix? The Knee, Volume 17, Issue 4, August 2010, Pages 270-273.
Peter D Gallacher, Robin E Gilbert, Gaynor Kanes, Simon N J Roberts, Dai Rees. Outcome of meniscal repair prior compared with concurrent ACL reconstruction. The Knee 19 (2012) 461-463.
Effects of knee compartment, concomitant surgery and smoking on medium-term outcome of microfracture. B. Balain, C. Kerin, G. Kanes, S.N. Roberts, D. Rees, J.H. Kuiper. The Knee in Press.
Polyurethane scaffold in lateral meniscus segmental defects:Clinical outcomes at 24 months follow-up. H. Bouyarmane, P. Beaufils, N. Pujol, J. Bellemans, S. Roberts, T. Spalding,S. Zaffagnini, M. Marcacci, P. Verdonk, M. Womack, R. Verdonk. Orthopaedics & Traumatology: Surgery & Research xxx (2013) xxx–xxx
Clinical results of polyurethane scaffold in lateral meniscus segmental defects Arthroscopy - Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, October 2013, vol. 29/10 SUPPL. 1(e51-e52), (October 2013). Bouyarmane H., Beaufils P., Bellemans J., Pujol N., Roberts S., Spalding T., Zaffagnini S., Marcacci M., Verdonk P., Verdonk R.E.
Presentations & Posters:
1. The Anatomy of the Brachial Artery Bifurcation and its Relevance to Thromboembolectomy. The British Association of Clinical Anatomists July 1989.
2. The Geometry of the Humeral Head and its Implications for Prosthesis Design. The British Association of Clinical Anatomists January 1990.
3. The Shape of the Humeral Head. The International Symposium on Upper Limb Surgery, Nottingham October 1991.
4. Tournament Water Skiing. British Orthopaedic Sports Trauma Association, Leeds November 1994.
5. Orthopaedic Trauma in International Tournament Water Skiers. Naughton Dunn Club. April 1995.
6. Mechanical Failure of Unreamed Tibial Nails. BOA Spring meeting April 1996.
7. Suction Drains in Knee Replacement Surgery (given by Greg Keene). Australian Orthopaedic Association, Canberra, October 1997.
8. Electromagnetic Motion Analysis – the Shoulder. Australian Orthopaedic Association SA meeting, Mount Gambier, November 1997.
9. The Investigation & Management of Sclerotic Lesions of the Clavicle. Australian Orthopaedic Association SA meeting, Mount Gambier, November 1997.
10. Suction Drains In Knee Replacement Surgery (given by JN Brown). Australian Orthopaedic Association SA meeting, Mount Gambier, November 1997.
11. Analysis of Scapulothoracic Cadence. Combined Meeting of the Orthopaedic Associations of the English-Speaking World, Auckland 1998.
12.The Rotator Cuff. Instructional course lecture (given by Michael Hayes). Combined Meeting of the Orthopaedic Associations of the English-Speaking World, Auckland 1998.
13. Wrist Arthroplasty. Instructional course lecture (given by Michael Hayes). Combined Meeting of the Orthopaedic Associations of the English-Speaking World, Auckland 1998.
14. Osteitis Condensans (given by Michael Hayes). Australian Shoulder & Elbow Society at the Australian Orthopaedic Association, Perth, February 1998.
15. Posteromedial Ankle Impingement (given by Roger Paterson). Sports Medicine Australia, Clare Valley, March 1998.
16. Trapeziometacarpal Instability. Australian Orthopaedic Association SA meeting, Adelaide, April 1998.
17. Glomus Tumour. Australian Orthopaedic Association SA meeting, Adelaide, April 1998.
18. Plantar Fascia Release Through a Transverse Incision (given by JN Brown). Australian Orthopaedic Association SA meeting, Adelaide, April 1998.
19. Open & Arthroscopic Techniques for the Treatment of Traumatic Anterior Shoulder Instability in Australian Rules Football Players. Football Australasia, Melbourne July 1998.
20. Acromioclavicular Joint Injuries in Australian Rules Footballers (given by A Saies). Football Australasia, Melbourne July 1998.
21. Tenoplasty for Chronic Achilles Tendinitis. Naughton Dunn Club November 1998.
22. Open & Arthroscopic Techniques for the Treatment of Traumatic Anterior Shoulder Instability in Australian Rules Football Players. BOSTA London April 1999.
23. Grade III Acromioclavicular Injuries in Australian Rules Football (given by J Brown). BOSTA London April 1999.
24. Tenoplasty for Chronic Achilles Tendinitis. EFORT Brussels May 1999.
25. The Brunelli Procedure for Trapeziometacarpal Instability. EFORT Brussels May 1999.
26. Open & Arthroscopic Techniques for the Treatment of Traumatic Anterior Shoulder Instability in Australian Rules Football Players. BOA Glasgow September 1999. Abstract JBJS 82-B 2000 Suppl I p67.
27. Sports Injuries – An Orthopaedic Viewpoint. St John’s Ambulance August 1999.
28. Shoulder Instability. 10th Anniversary lecture North Wales Physiotherapy Clinic. October 1999
29. Articular Cartilage Injuries. North Wales Physiotherapists continuing education September 1999
30. Sports Injuries. Invited Lecture. Wrexham Medical Institute. October 1999.
31. Padding in Rugby. Invited lecture to the International Rugby Board Age Grade Conference. London October 1999.
32. Sports Injuries. Deeside General Practitioners Continuing Medical Education. Nov 1999.
33. Recent advances in Sports Injuries. Ruthin PGEA meeting February 2000.
34. The Biomet / BESS Travelling Fellowship. BESS Nottingham May 2000.
35. The Oswestry autologous chondrocyte implantation series. Eurocell 2000, Oswestry, November 2000.
36. Regular Lecturer on a number of surgical courses in Oswestry. MATTU,
37. Basic Sciences for the FRCS (Orth) (Regular course). Shoulder Biomechanics.
38. Clinical Examination of the Knee for the FRCS (Orth). (Regular course).
39. Regular Lecturer on the RCS Wrexham Basic Surgical Skills Course.
40. Nursing & Midwifery – Staffordshire University. Sports Injuries. (Regular course).
41. Sports Injuries of the Knee. Invited Lecture to the Rugby Football Union Lancashire Medical Association January 2001.
42. The posteromedial impingement (PoMI) lesion of the ankle. ISAKOS May 2001 Montreux. Abstract p 4.38.
43. Autologous chondrocyte implantation. Invited lecture. Polish Osteoarthrology Society September 2001.
44. The Mechanism of Sports Injury. Invited lecture British Institute of Radiology President’s Conference Manchester, May 2002.
45. Sports Injuries of the Knee. Rural Doctors Conference. Gregynog Sept 2002.
46. Graft Choice in ACL reconstruction. Oswestry Knee Symposium October 2002.
47. Shoulder in Sports. Nunsmere GP Instructional Nov 2002
48. Sports Injury Surgery. Annual guest lecturer Chester & North Wales Medical Society Feb 2003.
49. Sports Injuries for GPs. Invited lecture Total Fitness, Wrexham May 2003.
50. Thermal shrinkage of the ACL. Second European Congress of Sport Traumatology, Nice May 2003.
51. Assessment of the acutely injured knee. Grand Rounds series Wrexham Medical Institute June 2003.
52. An Orthopaedic overview of sports injuries. BASEM Pfizer invited lecture Haydock Park. June 2003.
53. Radiofrequency tightening for partial ACL tears. Invited lecture, Sports Knee Symposium Warwick University November 2003.
54. An overview of articular cartilage surgery. Invited lecture, Oswestry Knee Symposium November 2003.
55. Meniscal surgery. Invited lecture, Oswestry Knee Symposium November 2003.
56. The Shoulder in Sport. Invited lecture, Oswestry Shoulder Symposium March 2004.
57. The potential benefit of thermal shrinkage for lax anterior cruciate ligaments. ESSKA Athens May 2004.
58. Meniscal repair: The experience of 111 cases from a single centre over three years. ESSKA Athens May 2004.
59. Assessment of the Sportsman’s Knee. Invited lecture. Mid Wales Physiotherapists. May 2004.
60. Knee Ligament Injuries. Shropshire Physiotherapists. September 2004
61. Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACL): Surgery for cases less than 20 years of age. BASK March 2005.
62. The potential benefit of thermal shrinkage for lax anterior cruciate ligaments. ISAKOS Florida April 2005.
63. Meniscal repair: Experience of 111 cases from a single centre over 3 years. ISAKOS Florida April 2005.
64. Assessing sports injuries of the knee – when to worry? Mere Golf & Country Club July 2005.
65. Shoulder and Knee Injuries. FASSGEM May 2006
66. Stressful Sports Old Oswestrians June 2006
67. The Ankle in Sports. Co-organiser Oswestry Sports Knee & Ankle Symposium October 2006.
68. Return to Sport after Fracture. Invited lecture British Association of Sport & Exercise Medicine meeting Loughborough April 2007.
69. The Effects of non-concurrent strength and endurance rehabilitation on the neuromuscular and musculoskeletal performance of knees treated with Autologous chondrocyte implantation (ACI). A.K. Bailey, N.P. Gleeson, D. Rees, S.N.J. Roberts, Prof R. Eston, Prof J.B. Richardson. ICRS Zurich June 2007.
70. The Ankle in Sport. GP Forum Tarporley Sept 2007.
71. Predictors of medium term outcome of microfracture – significant effect of smoking. 9th Efort Congress Nice 2008
72. Predictors of medium term outcome of microfracture – significant effect of smoking. ESSKA Porto 2008.
73. Sports Injuries of the Shoulder – when to operate? 9th International Trauma Conference April 2008
74. Predictors of medium term outcome of microfracture – significant effect of smoking. BOA annual conference. Liverpool, September 2008.
75. Shoulder arthroscopy for degenerative disease (invited lecture). BASEM Brighton October 2008.
76. Meniscus repair, resection & replacement. BJHM Orthopaedics & Sports Injnuries conference Institute of Physics London November 2008.
77. Thermal shrinkage for anterior cruciate ligament laxity. Combined Services Orthopaedic Society. May 2009.
78. The management of tendinopathy. GP CME meeting July 2009.
79. Shoulder dislocation. Invited instructional lecture. BOA Sept 2009.
80. Laxity in ACL grafts and the use of thermal shrinkage . SFA meeting Deauville December 2009
81. Lower Limb Sports Injuries. National Sport and Exercise student conference Liverpool March 2010.
82. The Knee in sports. Imperial College Sports Medicine Conference. March 2010.
83. Orthopaedic Review Course. Cairo April 2010. Lectures on the ankle in sport, shoulder biomechanics, shoulder dislocation, knee examination, articular cartilage, & the meniscus – when to repair, resect & replace.
84. Histological evaluation of a synthetic bone graft in a high tibial osteotomy at 2 years post implantation. ESSKA Oslo June 2010.
85. Laxity in ACL Grafts and the use of Thermal Shrinkage. Registrars’ day 2010
86. White on White Meniscal Tears to Fix or Not to Fix? Registrars’ day 2010
87. Articular Cartilage Injuries. Invited Lecture “The complex knee – discussion forum”. York. June 2010.
88. What’s new in the management of sports injuries? Rural doctors’ conference Institute of Rural Health. Sept 2010
89. Sports Knee Injuries. GO study day. Llandudno Sept 2010
90. Dislocation of the shoulder. Rugby injuries conference. Colwyn Bay October 2010.
92. Shoulder Arthroscopy. Cadaveric workshop Munich March 2011.
93. Waterskiing injuries EFORT Copenhagen . June 2011
94. Outcome of meniscal repair prior compared with concurrent ACL reconstruction. BOA Dublin September 2011.
95. Musculotendinous injuries in the human athlete. Invited lecture SGV Scientific Conference. Manchester. May 2012
96. Shoulder dislocation in sport. Invited lecture Oswestry shoulder & elbow course July 2012
97. Organising committee World Sports Trauma Congress, London. October 2012
98. Clinical results of polyurethane scaffold in lateral meniscus segmental defects H.Bouyarmane, P.Beaufils, J. Bellemans, S.Roberts, T.Spalding, S.Zaffagnini, M. Marcacci, P. Verdonk,R. Verdonk. ICRS Izmir 2013. Magellan ISAKOS Toronto 2013.
99. Sports Knee Injuries. GP study day. Ruthin Sept 2013
100. Sports injuries at the Olympic Games, Society of Orthopaedic Theatre Nurses May 2013
101. Challenges in Meniscal Repair, Oswestry Cartilage Symposium May 2013
102. Clinical results of polyurethane scaffold in lateral meniscus segmental defects. Houssam Bouyarmane, Philippe Beaufils, Johan Bellemans, Nicolas Pujol, Simon Roberts, Tim Spalding, Stefano Zaffagnini, Maurilio Marcacci, Peter Verdonk, René E. Verdonk. ISAKOS Toronto 2013.
103. Update on ACL reconstruction. Invited lecture 9th Oswestry Cartilage Symposium. May 2014.
104. Clinical results of polyurethane scaffold in lateral meniscus segmental defects. Houssam Bouyarmane, Philippe Beaufils, Johan Bellemans, Nicolas Pujol, Simon Roberts, Tim Spalding, Stefano Zaffagnini, Maurilio Marcacci, Peter Verdonk, René E. Verdonk. ESSKA Amsterdam 2014.